INSIDE: Head up to this Napier Lookout for a great view!
The Bluff Hill Domain Lookout of Port Napier is at the top of a windy maze of suburban streets.
There’s little signage, so be prepared to go round and round a few times, like we did!
The view of Port of Napier on a sunny day is nice.
Find all the details of how to get there, and more, below.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Guide to Bluff Hill Lookout Napier
- 2 Port Napier Lookout Features
- 3 History of Bluff Hill Lookout
- 4 THE INSIDE SCOOP: Bluff Hill Domain
- 5 How to get to Napier Lookout
- 6 Map of Port Napier Lookout Route to Top
- 7 Facilities at Bluff Hill Lookout
- 8 Toadstool Rating – Port of Napier Lookout
- 9 MORE Things to do in Napier with kids?
- 10 Looking for More Things to Do around New Zealand for Kids?
Guide to Bluff Hill Lookout Napier
Planning a visit to this Napier lookout over Port of Napier on a sunny day?
The Bluff Hill Domain is at the end of Lighthouse Road.
The lookout is at the highest point of Bluff Hill Domain, with spectacular views across the Port of Napier and beyond.
Port Napier Lookout Features
Head up towards the red brick structure to find tables and chairs perfect for a picnic.
Inside the red brick walls, you’ll find a Direction Finder pointer (officially called an ‘alidade’) to show you what you are looking at in each direction.
Unfortunately, you can’t see the art deco city of Napier or Cape Kidnappers as the lookout faces the wrong direction.
Hot tip: Take a sightseeing tour of Cape Kidnappers to see the colony of gannet birds.
History of Bluff Hill Lookout
During World War II, Bluff Hill lookout was manned by 77 Battery 10 Coast Regiment NZA to spot potential enemy forces.
The Battery manned two 6-inch guns in concrete emplacements.
The gunners’ barracks were located behind the Battery.
THE INSIDE SCOOP: Bluff Hill Domain
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in AUD dollars, unless otherwise stated
Address: 50 Lighthouse Road, Napier
Telephone:+64 6 835 7579
Email: [email protected]
Bluff Hill Napier Opening Times: 7am to 9pm
Entry Fees: Free
How to get to Napier Lookout
By Foot: 30 minutes via Marine Parade and Lighthouse Road
By Car: 8 minutes drive (3.2km) from the Napier Soundshell on Marine Parade.
Bluff Hill Lookout Parking
Free parking on site
Map of Port Napier Lookout Route to Top
Facilities at Bluff Hill Lookout
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: BYO picnic. No shops or cafes on site.
Disability access: Yes
Enclosed: Only in carpark area
Ground cover: Grass, concrete
Picnic tables: Yes
Electric BBQs: No
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes
Toadstool Rating – Port of Napier Lookout
Ok views, but not much to do for kids.
MORE Things to do in Napier with kids?
- Pop into the iSite Visitor information centre and pick up discount vouchers
- Go shopping in the boutiques & enjoy the coffee shops of Havelock North
- Walk up Te Mata peak in Hawkes Bay
- The National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Learn the Pania of the Reef Statue story
- Sunken Gardens
- Take a tour to Cape Kidnappers to see the largest mainland gannet bird colony.
- Ocean Spa – hot pools await!
- Book in for a self guided audio tour of Napier Prison – it’s hugely entertaining, strangely enough.
Napier Art Deco City
Plus, don’t forget to take a walking tour of the Art Deco architecture and retro styling and signage of the town.
It’s fun to spot all the different fonts!
Take a vintage car tour of Napier art deco sights and architecture
OR, see the Art Deco highlights by the Vintage Bus for something a bit different.
Looking for More Things to Do around New Zealand for Kids?
Click the blue links below.