INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s Guide to the best things to do in Melbourne with kids and family.
Melbourne, the home of the best Italian food in Australia, and the centre of art and cultural activities for kids.
- fabulous nature playgrounds
- community playgrounds
- themed high teas
- AFL, and cricket
- Melbourne museums
- epic science museums
- indoor rock climbing
- Luna Park, and a
- giant Melbourne wheel where you can see the Melbourne skyline from a bird’s eye view.
The Melbourne Zoo and the Werribee Zoo safari park are two of Australia’s best animal parks.
You can fill your days SHOPPING in Melbourne.
It’s the hotspot for op shops AND high fashion, and don’t miss Queen Victoria Markets.
My woollen UGG boots from there are 10 years old and still look almost brand new!
But when a local thinks of Melbourne, it’s all about the food.
Don’t miss Lygon street for that moreish Italian food, or the main street of St Kilda for decadent cakes and pastries.
Take a look!
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
BEST THINGS TO DO IN MELBOURNE WITH KIDS
No.1: Awesome Playgrounds in Melbourne for Kids
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in AUD dollars, unless otherwise stated
First up, the most important adventure for kids in Melbourne.
Visiting the best Melbourne Playgrounds, of course!
Take a look.
St Kilda Adventure Playground in Melbourne
St Kilda Adventure Playground in Melbourne is a community-run playground with a difference.
If you dream of letting the kids play like we played as kids, head straight there.
Ian Potter Children’s Garden at Melbourne Botanic Garden
Love Nature Play?
Visit the Ian Potter Foundation Children Garden near the Melbourne CBD for the best nature playground around.
Don’t miss this one at the Royal Botanic Gardens.
Birrarung Marr Playground
Birrarung Marr playground is the best playground in Melbourne City CBD, with views of the river, and very near Federation Square.
It’s right next to ArtPlay, the community arts hub for families.
Albert Park Community Playground
Albert Park Playground is a magical fort castle playground for kids.
Plus, there’s heaps of things to do around Albert Park.
Check them out.
More of the Best Melbourne Playgrounds for Kids
You can also visit the Children’s Playground in Fitzroy Gardens – it has a DRAGON SLIDE!
Skinners Adventure Playground is another community playground in Melbourne with lots of loose parts for children to create with. It’s bright, and colourful!
Cubbies Fitzroy Adventure Playground on Condell Street Fitzroy, has a fantastic climbing structure, unlike anything we’ve seen before! Three giant sculptural “flowers” form the centrepiece of this unique climbing fort.
No.2: Melbourne Attractions for Kids
There’s SO MANY fun things to do with kids in Melbourne.
Here’s a list of the top 10 things to do in Melbourne for families.
- Ride the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel
- Wander Chinatown and go inside the Chinese museum
- Head into LEGOLAND Discovery Centre Melbourne
- Visit Collingwood Children’s Farm and Abbotsford Convent shops
- Take selfies at ArtVo
- Catch the City Circle tram
- Tour Melbourne Cricket Ground
- Head inside Old Melbourne Gaol
- Get busy with hands on activities at Scienceworks!
- Pauline Gandel Children’s Gallery
More Fun Places in Melbourne for Kids
- Take in the view from Eureka Skydeck
- Check out the National Gallery of Victoria
- Grab a croissant at Flinders Street Railway station
- Have a look at the iconic State Library of Victoria
- Check out the Australian Sports Museum and the ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image)
- Discover history at the Immigation Museum
- Be awed by St Patricks Cathedral
- Check out the views from St Kilda Pier
- Spend a day visiting Polly Woodside museum ship
- SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium
- Melbourne Zoo Victorian Era zoo, close to the CBD
- IMAX Melbourne
- Melbourne museum (Natural history and cultural collections)
- Kings Domain park and the Aboriginal Heritage Walk
Click here for a map of Melbourne tourist attractions.
No.3: Shopping in Melbourne
- Go shopping at Acland Street or Chapel Street
- Eat all the yummy cakes at the St Kilda Esplanade market, and Prahan market
- Shop Queen Victoria market shopping for toys, beanies, Disney toys AND all the foodie treats!
- Check out Bourke Street Mall, Melbourne Central, and Emporium Melbourne for high end fashion, & fun!
- Buy chocolates at Haigh’s Chocolates in the Block Arcade (all the shops in the Block arcade are worth a squizz)
- Wander Royal Arcade, built in 1870!
- Melbourne Docklands
Melbourne Shopping for Good Design
- Koncent Japanese homewares and designer goods in South Melbourne
- Find quirky design goods at NVG Australia
- Top 3 Design Emporium Melbourne on Lonsdale street in the CBD
- Galleria Melbourne
- Kami Paper is an adorable paper, art supplies, and book shop
- Dinosaur Designs Melbourne for resin art, jewelry and homewares
- The Rose Street Artist’s Market in Fitzroy is an indoor arty crafty market of handmade goodies and food
- Lost and Found market on 288 Brunswick St, Fitzroy has vintage apparel, antique furniture, housewares, bric-a-brac & art.
No.4: Eating in Melbourne with Kids
If you are looking for things to do in Melbourne for kids involving food, try a super fun themed high tea for children at the Langham Hotel in Melbourne
There’s new themes, usually in conjunction with a latest release movie each school holidays!
Easeys is a cool burger joint inside a converted train in Collingwood. Go for the novelty factor.
Check back here soon for MORE places to eat in Melbourne with kids.
Toadstool Rating: Things to do in Melbourne for children
Melbourne is in the top 3 of family friendly cities in Australia.
Hire a car if you are able, and visit Werribee Open Range Zoo.
Looking for MORE THINGS TO DO IN MELBOURNE WITH KIDS?