INSIDE: The Complete Guide to Buying Japanese Art Supplies with a list of the best shops in Tokyo.
If you are an artist, manga comic illustrator, designer, creative, illustrator or hobbyist in Tokyo, you need to keep this list of Tokyo art supplies shops handy.
These are the best shops to visit for Japanese art supplies and and the best Japanese art brands.
It’s the complete guide to shopping for art supplies in Tokyo.
Hot tip: Fill your wallet.
If you thought shopping for art supplies at home was fun, then this will blow your mind.
Shopping in Tokyo for Japanese art supplies when you are an artist, designer, creator, maker or hobbyist is next level excitement!
Take a look below for details.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Shopping in Tokyo at the Best Japanese Art Supplies Store
- 2 Top 10 Japanese Art Supplies & More!
- 3 Where to Buy Japanese Art Supplies in Tokyo?
- 4 No.1: Kakimori Japan Art Store
- 5 No.2: Inkstand by Kakimori Japan Art Supplies
- 6 No.3: Pigment Store Tokyo – The Famous Japanese Art Store!
- 7 No.4: Uematsu Art Store in Japan
- 8 No.5: Sekaido Japanese Art Supply Store Tokyo
- 9 No.6: Ginza Gekko-so Art Supplies Japan
- 10 No.7: Itoya Ginza
- 11 No.8: Yuzawaya Tokyo Art Stores in Japan
- 12 No.9: LOFT Japan
- 13 No.10: Tokyu Hands Products
- 14 No.11: Daiso Art Supplies Tokyo
- 15 LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?
- 16 No.1: Where to buy Japanese calligraphy supplies?
- 17 No.2: Where to buy cute Japanese art supplies for Manga comics?
- 18 Tools Japan Art Store Tokyo for Manga Art Supplies
- 19 Looking for more places to shop in Japan?
Shopping in Tokyo at the Best Japanese Art Supplies Store
- The first question is: what type of artist are you, and what art supplies do you normally use?
- The second question is: what kind of art supplies are available in Japan?
- The third question is: what art supply stores in Tokyo offer art workshops too?
With those three questions answered, you can pinpoint the best shops in Tokyo to visit on your Tokyo itinerary.
Top 10 Japanese Art Supplies & More!
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in AUD dollars, unless otherwise stated
For starters, Japanese art tools to look for in a Japanese art store include:
- Japanese art brushes and Japanese paint brushes (a Japanese paint brush is one of those must-have things)
- Japanese painting supplies
- Japanese ink brush & Japanese ink painting supplies
- Manga art supplies and comic art supplies including the world famous COPIC markers!
- Japanese printmaking supplies
- Japanese paper and origami supplies
- Japanese art materials including quality paper, visual diaries, and journals
- Japanese ceramic supplies and clay
- Japanese brush art pens & Japanese brush painting supplies
- Japanese calligraphy supplies
- Japanese art pens
- Artist pigments and art materials
- Artist supplies for Japanese wood block printing, and hand carved stamping
- Japanese washi tape
RELATED: The BEST Stationery Stores in Tokyo
Where to Buy Japanese Art Supplies in Tokyo?
This is a general list of the best art shops in Tokyo selling a broad range of Tokyo art supplies for all kinds of artists.
Before you go, be sure to write down a few of these tips from this guide: The best candies from Japan
You’ll need it to give you energy for these Japanese art supply shopping trips!
Image credit: Kakimori
No.1: Kakimori Japan Art Store
Kakimori is the place to purchase a customised notebook where you choose:
- your binder ring colors
- fasteners, and
- cover design.
Choose your arts supplies, then the staff will make it right in front of you!
The whole process takes about 20-30 minutes.
Prices in this Japan art shop range from 1‚000 yen to 3‚500 yen.
They stock all kinds of pens.
- fountain pens
- ballpoint pens
- refillable ball point pens
- pen cases
You are invited to try before you buy at Kakimori Tokyo art store.
Kakimori also home to well made stationery items, including:
- business card holders
- hand crafted notebooks
- letter writing sets
- envelopes, and
- gift cards.
Kakimori art supply store is in Kuramae Tokyo.
Kuramae is the home of many, many artisans and craftspeople in Tokyo, and can be found between Asakusa and Tokyo Skytree.
Image credit: Inkstand
No.2: Inkstand by Kakimori Japan Art Supplies
Inkstand is the place in Japan to purchase your very own fountain pen ink colour, specially designed just for you and your personality and mood.
Inkstand came from the idea that “everyone should have a color that truly represents them”
Ink samples are prepared drop by drop, allowing you to mix your way towards the color that matches your mood perfectly.
With each drop, your personal ink adds to the joy of writing and expressing yourself on paper..
Inkstand’s greatest wish is that everyone will share the enjoyment that comes from bringing a sense of color into your daily life.
Image credit: Pigment Tokyo Lab
No.3: Pigment Store Tokyo – The Famous Japanese Art Store!
PIGMENT Tokyo Lab (pronounced as in the French, pīgmōn) is a laboratory for exploring “expression in color and materials” as well as an academy, a museum, and a store.
It’s a comprehensive facility for creativity!
All the pigments are displayed in the glass jars and there are more than 4500 choices of colors here.
To buy artist pigments, you simply choose the color you like from the wall and the staff will measure as much you want from the jars, starting from 15 grams.
- Shin-iwa (Artificial) Pigments
- Natural Mineral Pigments
- Earth Pigments
- Suihi pigments
- Effect Pigment
- Kyojyo pigments
The Pigment store in Tokyo also stocks:
- Painting canvases of canvas, silk, cotton
- Washi paper
- Sumi Ink sticks
- Metal leaf, gold and silver pigments, coloured silver leaf
- Oil paints, pigment paste, acrylic paints, watercolours, ink, tempera paste
- Water or oil based resin paint supplies
- Glues and adhesives
- Japanese art books
- Ink stones and pigment dishes
Japanese art brushes:
- oil paint brushes
- watercolour brushes
- flat paint brushes
- finger brushes (yubifude)
- flat fog brushes
- calligraphy brushes
Brushes to do detail line drawings:
- Umpitsu drawing brushes
- Mensofude fine brushes
- Hirafude flat brushes
- Saishiki-fudde coloring brushes
- Kegaki-fude brushes
No.4: Uematsu Art Store in Japan
Uematsu art supply store in Shibuya is well established, having been in business for more than 85 years, with a full range of service painting materials that cater to anyone who loves to draw or paint.
Painters, artists, culture aficionados, drawing students, illustrators, designers, and amateur hobbyists in Japan know Uematsu very well.
Uematsu Japanese art supply store stocks:
- water color painting supplies
- acrylic painting supplies
- oil painting supplies
- environmentally friendly art supplies
They offer an extensive selection of art supplies Japan style, and friendly store clerks who are more than happy to help!
Image credit: Sekaido Shinjuku
No.5: Sekaido Japanese Art Supply Store Tokyo
Sekaido Art Store is the world biggest art store in Japan, with in excess of 100,000 art materials in stock!
Sekaido Japanese Art stores (and Japanese stationery shop) has two stores in Shinjuku, and there’s also one in Machida, Ikebukuro, Kitaguci, Yokohama, and other parts of Japan too.
Sekaidou first opened in 1940!
The Sekaido Shinjuku stationery store stocks:
- art supplies
- design and drafting supplies
- painting and poster boards
- design supplies
- comic manga supplies, and
- modelling material.
Here’s a general guide to the Sekaido Shinjuku main store.
Here a guide to finding the art supplies from Japan in this store:
- Japanese fountain pens and Japanese stationery including washi tape
- Japanese paper
- drafting tools and paper
- design and illustrator supplies
- animation goods
- model materials
- art and design related books
Manga art supplies for beginners & experts!
It’s also the go-to place for comics and manga art supplies.
- painting materials
- Japanese painting supplies
- Japanese woodblock printing supplies
- modelling materials for hand cut stamping
- materials for miniature clay making
- Japanese calligraphy supplies on the third floor
- framing of artworks
- purchase Japanese prints and Japanese artworks
- oil painting supplies
No.6: Ginza Gekko-so Art Supplies Japan
Gekkoso was founded in 1917, and continues to attract visitors to experience the old-school charm of the place on both the entry level and in the basement.
Visit the Ginza Gekkoso art Supply Store for:
- hand crafted paint
- hand crafted paintbrushes
- visual art diaries
- sketch books,
- Gekkoso watercolor paints, and more.
Gekkoso’s own brand logo is a musical horn.
Buy any of their original products, and you’ll find this logo inscribed. It’s a wonderful keepsake of your visit.
No.7: Itoya Ginza
Itoya Ginza (or Itoya Tokyo, as it’s sometimes called) is a well known stationery shop in Tokyo with a giant red paperclip on the building. The flagship store in Ginza is two buildings (G. Itoya and K. Itoya) with a total of 18 floors!
But don’t write it off as just a stationery shop.
Itoya Ginza has a MASSIVE selection of art supplies too.
What to buy at Itoya Japan
- Japanese calligraphy brushes and ink
- Paintbrushes for oils and acrylics, oil painting supplies, acrylic supplies, paint
- Crayon pastels, oil pastels and chalk
- Calligraphy pens
- Best Japanese watercolor brushes, watercolor supplies
- Japanese drawing supplies for manga, comic supplies, design ink, drawing aids
- Airbrush supplies
- Canvas, easels
- Drafting supplies – compass, drafts, templates, rulers
- Paper craft supplies – seals, decorations, scrapbooking supplies, washi tape
- Modelling supplies – clay
- Craft supplies, origami paper
Image credit: Yuzawaya stores
No.8: Yuzawaya Tokyo Art Stores in Japan
Yuzawaya is a large-scale specialty store of handmade hobby materials that has been in action for 64 years, with a wide range of materials and tools from around the world.
Some of the stores stock art supplies.
Check the descriptions in the orange ovals to find your closest store that stocks art supplies.
No.9: LOFT Japan
Paper craft lovers will find MT Washi Tape, craft templates, and paper craft embellishments.
Artists will find coloured pencil sets, graphite pencils, and sketch books.
But LOFT Tokyo has so much more.
Souvenirs, gifts, design goods, luggage, leather…
Don’t miss the Loft shop Tokyo.
No.10: Tokyu Hands Products
Tokyu Hands Department Store is THE ultimate craft supplies store in Japan, but there’s lots of art supplies too.
At this Japan craft store, find:
- calligraphy supplies including calligraphy brush pens
- painting supplies
- wood block printing supplies
- paper craft supplies, washi tape, nuno deco tape
- glass painting supplies
- stamping supplies
Look out for the Tokyu Hands copic markers.
Some Tokyu Hands stores have an in-store cafe with original menus that change each season, and opportunities to join in hands on workshops and other special events.
This is the place to buy handmade goodies too.
No.11: Daiso Art Supplies Tokyo
Daiso has cheap art supplies for paper craft, drawing, and manga illustration.
The best Daiso products for artists are:
- sticky notes
- washi tape
- deco tape
- modelling clay
- pens and pencils
- notebooks and notepads
- paint brushes
- paint palettes
- Daiso watercolour paints and painting stuff to buy
- Daiso acrylic paint
- stretched canvas
- watercolour paint sets, and
- washable crayons
- nail art supplies
This is the best place to start your collection of nice art supplies for kids.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?
No.1: Where to buy Japanese calligraphy supplies?
According to Wikipedia, Japanese calligraphy (書道, shodō) is called shūji (習字)
This beautiful art form was inspired by Chinese calligraphy,
What you need for Japanese calligraphy?
- Japanese ink stick (Japanese sumi ink)
- Japanese ink stone (suzuri)
- Japanese calligraphy brushes (fude), and
- Japanese calligraphy paper (hanshi) – try the Ryugu calligraphy paper, or mulberry paper (washi)
- A felt mat (shitajiki)
Start your art supply adventure at Sekaido art shop. (See above for details.)
More Calligraphy supplies in Japan
Next stop should be Lapis Design & Art Supply in Roppongi Hills for:
- calligraphy pens
- paper, and more.
No.2: Where to buy cute Japanese art supplies for Manga comics?
Manga illustrators need these cute art supplies in their collection.
- Deleter comic paper
- Non-photo blue pencil leads
- Graphite pencils
- Inking tools
- Dip pen nibs and holders
- Dip pen ink
- Fineliners including copic multiliner pens
- Copic markets – Copic sketch markers, Copic classic markers, Copic ciao markers
- Templates and guides, curves and rulers, compass
- Anti smudge tools, dust removers
Image credit: Tools
Tools Japan Art Store Tokyo for Manga Art Supplies
Tools art supply shop in Tokyo is the place to be.
This is the best place to buy your Copic markers in Japan.
They are an official stockist, with a Copic Clinic on site to do all your copic marker refills and nib replacements.
They sell lots of the best art supplies for drawing anime.
Here’s a good anime art supplies list:
- Zebra mechanical graphite pencil for sketching
- Pilot Eno pens (non photo blue color)
- Block eraser
- Putty rubber eraser
- Pentell arts brush pen
- Deleter Manga ink and comic book paper
- Sakura Pigma ink pens
- Pigma Sensei Manga pens
- Copic markers
Make a pit stop at Tools Art Store Japan today.
MORE places for Manga & Anime products
Head to Uematsu Tokyo art supplies store, and Sekaido Shinjuku for an enormous selection of manga art supplies.
Visit Mandarake in Shibuya for a giant collection of:
- manga comics inspiration
- anime toys
- manga dolls
- anime ornaments
- manga cards
- CD’s, DVDs
Hot tip: Buy Manga in Japan at Tokyo Anime Center
The Tokyo Anime Center is another excellent resource for manga fans.
READ MORE: Best Things to Do in Tokyo with Kids!
Looking for more places to shop in Japan?
Click the blue links below for more Tokyo shopping tips