INSIDE: The Complete Guide of Things to do at Pier 51 & details about the water Playground at Hudson River Park. Updated 2019.
Named as one of Time Out New York Kids 25 Best Playgrounds in New York City, the exciting Pier 51 playground should top your list of the FOUR best things to do at Pier 51 in New York City.
This Pier 51 NYC water play park and New York playground has EIGHT SEASONAL WATER FEATURES!
But there’s more things to do at this pier too.
Check them out below!
UPDATE 2019: Is Pier 41 playground open?
YES! It reopened in July 2019 after refurbishment of surfacing of the playground floor.
- 1 NO. 1: Visit the Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground
- 2 No. 2: Take in the New York Skyline views
- 3 No.3: Where to eat at Pier 51 New York
- 4 No.4: MORE Things to Do Near Pier 51 in New York
- 5 The Inside Scoop – Pier 51 Hudson River Park Playground
- 6 How to get to Pier 51 NYC
- 7 Map of Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park
- 8 Facilities at Pier 51 & Greenway Playground
- 9 Toadstool Rating- Hudson River Park Playground at Pier 51
- 10 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
- 11 Subscribe
- 12 Bookmark Roam the Gnome
NO. 1: Visit the Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground
The Hudson River Park Playground is creatively styled in the theme of a boat harbour.
The highlight of the playground is the blue waterscape channel, a replica of Minetta Brook, that winds it way through the play area.
On hot summer days, this water trough fills and children delight in scampering through. The water flow in the brook is controlled by children using the interactive play structures such as child-activated water gushers and buckets.
Toddlers love spying the brass turtles and fish that dot the landscape.
On cold winter days, kids use their imagination to sail pretend boats and play pirates sailing the seas.
Aye Aye Captain!
Hot tip: BRING TOWELS.
Plus, a sweater for when the cooler air blows in from the harbour, and at least one change of clothes.
The Pier 51 Play Area
At this Manhattan playground, you’ll also find a flag-topped fort with an wheelchair accessible ramp to run up to the Pirate’s lookout.
This New York playground features multiple timber forts with rock climbing slopes, platforms, swing bridges, ramps, look outs, and monkey bars.
Slides & More
- Twirly slides
- Rock climbing walls
- Raised platforms
- A Model Boat hull that the kids can captain during imaginative play
Pier 51 sandpit
There’s a sandpit for kids too. BYO sand box toys.
No. 2: Take in the New York Skyline views
The best thing about Pier 51 are the iconic views of New York City skyline, and the harbour in the other direction.
The New York city views are spectacular, especially when the golden afternoon light shines down.
No.3: Where to eat at Pier 51 New York
The closest family-friendly places to eat near Pier 51 in Tribeca are:
- Zutto Japanese American eatery serving ramen, sushi, and bento boxes
- Ninja New York – everyday Japanese dishes served in a traditional Ninja setting!
- Zuckers Bagels and Smoked Fish serving bagels and sandwiches
McDonalds and Subway are 5 minutes walk away too.
No.4: MORE Things to Do Near Pier 51 in New York
Check out the:
- Pier 25 Playground with giant scramble net and sea-themed sandpit
- Pier 46 Lawn Turf. Kick a footy or go for a run. You can also spy the fish habitat at the end of the pier.
- Pier 54 Bike Park. Learn to ride a bike in a safe, car-free area with free daily bike education classes and programs for kids and adults. Preregistration required.
The Inside Scoop – Pier 51 Hudson River Park Playground
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in US dollars.
**The Hudson River Park Playground at Pier 51 has now reopened following its’ recent restoration**
Address: Where is Pier 51? The pier and the New York water playground are located at the intersection of Jane St and West St. Pedestrian crossings at W.12th St or Horatio St on either side of the playground.
Website: Click here
Opening Hours: 8am to dusk, all year round
Entry Fees: Free
How to get to Pier 51 NYC
Take the A, C, E or the L line to 14th Street. Walk towards the harbour.
Take the 1 train to Christopher St.
Map of Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park
Facilities at Pier 51 & Greenway Playground
Toilets: Pier 51 Comfort station
Disability access: Yes
Shade: No. BYO sunscreen and hats for sure.
Ground cover: Rubber soft fall, concrete pathways
Picnic tables: Bench seating inside the playground. Picnic areas close by.
Electric BBQs: No
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes (to ride along the Hudson River Greenway)
The Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground was last reviewed in 2019.
Toadstool Rating- Hudson River Park Playground at Pier 51
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a booking or purchase after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO extra cost to you.
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory