INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s Guide to the Best souvenirs from New York.
Planning on some New York City shopping?
If you are going shopping in NYC, you’ll LOVE our SUPER-SIZED guide to shopping for New York souvenirs.
We’ve gathered a list of:
- ALL the best places to shop in NYC
- quirky shopping in Manhattan
- the best things to buy in New York for board game fanatics, and purveyors of Halloween dress up costumes
- bargain shopping in New York city and the best places to shop in NYC on a budget
- the famous shops in New York, and
- what to buy in New York for design aficiandos and book lovers, plus
- gifts you can ONLY get in NYC – these are the ultimate souvenirs to bring back from New York.
Don’t bother going elsewhere until you’ve read all the way to the bottom.
THIS is the ONLY list of NYC souvenirs you’ll ever need. (We guarantee it)
Grab a cup of joe, and start your search below.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 The Best Souvenirs from New York City for family & friends?
- 2 THE BEST NEW YORK SOUVENIRS
- 3 No.1: Tiffany & Co Jewelry
- 4 No.2: Reusable Shopping Bags or Grocery Bag from Whole Foods or Trader Joes
- 5 No.3: Starbucks You Are Here Mug from New York
- 6 No.4: New York LEGO Kits from the LEGO Brick Store Rockefeller Center
- 7 No.5: Eloise at the Plaza Souvenirs New York
- 8 No.6: New York Sports Clothes
- 9 No.7: American Girl Place Rockefeller Center
- 10 No.8: I love New York Shirt
- 11 No.9: Levi’s Store Times Square
- 12 No.10: Kate Spade handbag
- 13 No.11: Kiehls Cosmetics since 1851
- 14 No.12: Humans of New York book by Brandon
- 15 No.13: Bloomingdales Christmas Decoration
- 16 No.14: FAO Schwartz Muppets Puppets
- 17 FAMOUS THINGS TO BUY IN NEW YORK
- 18 No.15: Statue of Liberty figurine
- 19 No.16: New York Cab Die Cast Vehicles
- 20 BEST CLOTHES SHOPPING IN NEW YORK
- 21 No.17: Best NYC Clothes Shopping Tours
- 22 CHEAP SOUVENIRS FROM NEW YORK
- 23 No.18: New York souvenir fridge magnets & more…
- 24 No.19: Best Budget Souvenirs from New York
- 25 No.20: Best FREE Souvenirs from New York
- 26 FOOD SOUVENIRS FROM NEW YORK
- 27 No.21: Best American Snacks Made in New York
- 28 No.22: Famous New York Food to Eat on the Go
- 29 THE BEST NEW YORK CANDY STORES
- 30 No.23: Best American Candy to try
- 31 No.24: Economy Candy New York souvenirs
- 32 No.25: Dylan’s Candy Bar Flagship Store
- 33 No.26: The Sweet Shop NYC treats
- 34 No.27: M&M’s World New York gifts
- 35 THE BEST NEW YORK CHOCOLATE SHOPS
- 36 No.28: Hershey’s Chocolate World Times Square
- 37 No.29: Myzel’s chocolate gifts
- 38 No.30: Raaka Chocolate Brooklyn
- 39 THE BEST NEW YORK MUSEUM SHOPS FOR UNIQUE NEW YORK SOUVENIRS!
- 40 No.31: MoMA gift shop souvenirs
- 41 No.32: New York Public Library Gift shop souvenirs
- 42 No.33: New York Transit Museum Store souvenirs
- 43 BEST NEW YORK MARKETS
- 44 No.34: Chelsea Market souvenirs
- 45 No.35: Smorgasboard Markets gifts
- 46 No.36: Union Square Green Market souvenirs
- 47 No.37: Grand Central Market at Grand Central Terminal New York
- 48 BEST FLEA MARKETS IN NEW YORK
- 49 No.38: Green Flea Market souvenirs
- 50 No.39: Artists and Fleas New York Markets
- 51 NEW YORK CHRISTMAS MARKETS
- 52 No.40: New York Christmas souvenirs
- 53 MORE FUN STORES IN NYC FOR NEW YORK GIFTS & SOUVENIRS
- 54 No.41: Chess Forum New York souvenirs
- 55 No.42: The Compleat Strategist Board Game Shop souvenirs
- 56 No.43: The Peculiar Planet Brooklyn New York souvenirs (formerly Planet Cute)
- 57 No.44: Abracadabra NYC dress up costumes
- 58 No.45: New York Costumes
- 59 No.46: The Strand -18 miles of books
- 60 No.47: Disney Store Times Square
- 61 WHERE TO GO NEW YORK SOUVENIR SHOPPING?
- 62 BEST NEW YORK SOUVENIR SHOPS
- 63 No.1: I Love Souvenirs gift shop
- 64 No.2: Memories of New York
- 65 No.3: The Evolution Store New York
- 66 No.4: Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co
- 67 No.5: Catbird Brooklyn
- 68 No.6: Lockwood
- 69 BEST NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT STORES
- 70 No.1: Macy’s New York
- 71 No.2: Bergdorf Goodman
- 72 No.3: Barneys New York
- 73 No.4: Bloomingdales SoHo
- 74 No.5: Century 21 Downtown Manhattan store
- 75 No.6: Saks Fifth Avenue
- 76 No.7: ABC Carpet & Home
- 77 ART AND CRAFT SHOPS IN NEW YORK CITY
- 78 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
The Best Souvenirs from New York City for family & friends?
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in AUD dollars, unless otherwise stated
We’ve organised the list of best souvenirs from NYC by category.
Click the headings in the contents box to go straight to a particular topic, or scroll the list from top to bottom.
We’ll finish with the best shopping areas in NYC.
THE BEST NEW YORK SOUVENIRS
No.1: Tiffany & Co Jewelry
Fans of Audrey Hepburn cannot visit New York without a visit to the iconic Tiffany & Co jewellery store on Fifth Avenue.
Made famous by the film, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, this jewellery store in New York sells:
- necklaces, pendants
- bracelets, earrings, rings
- charms and brooches
- Tiffany branded goods including luggage tags, fragrances, table wear, coffee and tea accessories, sunglasses, leather goods, novelties such as a dinging hotel bell, money boxes, and herb markers.
You don’t have to spend a fortune. Silver keyrings start from $140 USD and a gorgeous pair of Elsa Peretti® Bean Design Ear Clips in sterling silver retail from $375. These are gifts you keep for life.
Hot tip: Reserve a table for your own Breakfast at Tiffany’s experience in the Blue Box cafe, resplendent in the teal-hued Tiffany Blue®.
Buy now on Amazon: Can’t afford the real thing? Wear a Sterling Silver Bean Charm necklace substitute till you can.
Image credit: Trader Joes New York
No.2: Reusable Shopping Bags or Grocery Bag from Whole Foods or Trader Joes
Become a REAL New Yorker by carrying a reusable grocery bag to the best New York grocery stores in town.
Pick one up next time you are shopping at Trader Joes, or from Whole Foods, the number one place for healthy food in New York.
Buy now on Amazon: Trader Joes New York Reusable Shopping Bags – 2 pack
No.3: Starbucks You Are Here Mug from New York
You can’t miss out on coffee at Starbucks while you are in New York, and while you are there, you can buy one of our favorite New York collectible souvenirs too.
The New York Starbucks You Are Here mug.
Starbucks Union Square is at 10 Union Square E, New York, NY 10003.
But there’s a Starbucks in Manhattan on almost every street corner, or so it seems!
Buy now on Amazon: Starbucks New York City Mug Coffee Cup Special Edition
No.4: New York LEGO Kits from the LEGO Brick Store Rockefeller Center
Pick up exclusive New York LEGO at this awesome shop selling LEGO of all colors and shapes.
Plus the best range of:
- New York themed LEGO kits
- LEGO creator kits
- Harry Potter LEGO
- LEGO bricks by color (pick and mix)
- and more.
Take a look at our LEGO Brick Store Rockefeller Center review for all the details.
Buy now on Amazon: LEGO Architecture New York City Build It Yourself New York Skyline
No.5: Eloise at the Plaza Souvenirs New York
Take your kids to visit the Eloise at the Plaza store in New York to find ALL the Eloise gifts including a very cute Eloise tea set, just like the one she’d use in her penthouse suite at the Plaza.
- Eloise books
- Eloise DVDs
- Eloise dolls
- Eloise clothing
- Eloise stationery
- Eloise dress up costumes
- Eloise nail polish and makeup for kids, and
- Eloise toys including puzzles and playing cards.
No.6: New York Sports Clothes
Take home an authentic piece of New York Sports merchandise from one of the New York teams, the Yankees, the Rangers, The NY Giants, The NY Mets, NY Jets, or the Knicks.
- adjustable New York Yankees baseball cap
- A woollen beanie
- A team t-shirt or tank top
- A pair of team socks
- Baby clothes, swimwear
- Bags, tote bags, and backpacks
- Baseball gloves, baseball bats
Try Grand Slam New York New York City souvenirs shop at 1557 Broadway, New York, NY 10036 for authentic New York Yankees apparel and memorabilia.
Or Yankees Clubhouse Shop Times Square at 245 W 42nd Street SP1, Yankees Clubhouse 9040, New York, NY 10036, the official vendor for New York Yankees apparel, souvenirs and baseball gloves, bats and balls.
No.7: American Girl Place Rockefeller Center
Anyone traveling with girls in tow should pop into the iconic American Girl Place in Rockefeller Center, to see the best and biggest range of American Girl dolls and accessories.
You can even book a table at the American Girl Cafe and take your American Girl Doll to brunch!
Hot tip: Book well in advance to secure a spot.
No.8: I love New York Shirt
An I Heart NY tee is a touristy souvenir from New York, but these I love New York tees make excellent pajama tops when you get home.
A New York t-shirt a wonderful memento of your time in the big city.
Buy now on Amazon:Classic I Heart NY short sleeve print t-shirt
No.9: Levi’s Store Times Square
Pick your favourite pair of skinny jeans or a classic pair of 501’s from the Levis shop in Times Square.
Is there anything more American to buy in New York city?
The Levi’s Store is at Times Square, 1535 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, USA
Buy now on Amazon: Levi’s Womans Wedgie Skinny Jeans in Blue Spice
No.10: Kate Spade handbag
Don’t leave New York without a brand new Kate Spade handbag.
Our pick is the original favorite – the Sam in black.
This classic Kate Space handbag comes in different colors and fabrics, but it’s the boxy shape that seals the deal.
The Kate Spade store in New York is at 610 5th Ave Space C, New York, NY 10020, USA.
No.11: Kiehls Cosmetics since 1851
Kiehls beauty and cosmetics store is home to best selling skincare products to cleanse, moisturize and care for your skin. Kiehl’s story began with one single pharmacy in Manhattan at Third Avenue and East 13th Street in 1851.
Their most popular product is their Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream, a 24 hour daily facial moisturizer. But go in store to test these natural skincare range, and pick your favorites.
The Kiehl’s Since 1851 Flagship store is at 109 3rd Ave, New York NY 10003
No.12: Humans of New York book by Brandon
Grab a copy of the Humans of New York book by Brandon Stanton.
The book features 400 color photos and all new stories, based upon the famous “Humans in New York” blog and facebook page, that shares the heartfelt, humorous and harrowing stories of local New Yorkers.
Brandon’s photography is divine, but it’s the inner stories and courageous sharing by the people he features that make this a best seller.
Buy Now on Amazon: Humans of New York coffee table book
Image credit: Bloomingdales New York
No.13: Bloomingdales Christmas Decoration
A New York Christmas ornament is a souvenir that keeps on giving, year after year.
Head to Bloomingdales Department Store to find exclusive New York Christmas ornaments that you can’t buy anywhere else.
Bloomingdales is one of New York’s best Department Stores so don’t miss a visit.
There’s a Bloomingdales in Soho at 504 Broadway, New York and the Bloomingdale’s 59th Street, at 1000 Third Avenue, 59th Street and Lexington Avenue, New York.
Buy now on Amazon: The Brown Bag Christmas Decoration from Bloomingdales
No.14: FAO Schwartz Muppets Puppets
These may not be the most practical of souvenirs but I guarantee you they are the most unique, and the one you’ll never forget!
Head to FAO Schwartz Toy Shop in New York to make your own customizable Muppet doll for home.
They are adorable!
FAMOUS THINGS TO BUY IN NEW YORK
No.15: Statue of Liberty figurine
If a Statue of Liberty statue doesn’t take your fancy, pick up a Empire State Building, One World Tower, or Flatiron Building statuette.
They make great paperweights to keep all your credit card bills and receipts from your New York City splurges together!
Buy now on Amazon: Statue of Liberty statue, 8 inches tall
No.16: New York Cab Die Cast Vehicles
Looking to add to your collection of tiny vehicles from around the world?
A New York cab diecast vehicle is the perfect thing.
These make great NY souvenirs for kids too.
Buy now on Amazon: New York City Yellow Cab diecast toy
BEST CLOTHES SHOPPING IN NEW YORK
No.17: Best NYC Clothes Shopping Tours
Our hot tip is to book a tour that will show you how to shop like a local in New York for clothes.
The best New York tours for shopping are:
- See the bar owned by Steve and Aidan
- Visit the church where Samantha meets “The Friar”
- See the furniture store where Aidan designed his pieces
- Stop at the store where Charlotte bought her Rabbit
- Visit Buddakan, where Carrie and Big’s wedding rehearsal dinner took place
- See locations from the Sex and the City movies
- Get some retail therapy like Carrie at Greenwich Village boutiques
- Discover 4-5 unique boutiques and take advantage of shopping discounts
- Meet designers and boutique shop owners
- Get advice from your guide, a sustainable fashion designer
- Sip on a happy hour drink, or two!
No.3: New York’s Garment Center – 3 hour insider shopping tour with Get your Guide
Here’s a non-traditional shopping experience in NYC
- Visit the famous Garment District for an insider tour of 6 private Designer Showrooms
- Shop at wholesale prices
- See historical landmarks in the area, and hot NYC sights too
- Spend time with fashion knowledgable bargain hunters
CHEAP SOUVENIRS FROM NEW YORK
No.18: New York souvenir fridge magnets & more…
If you are looking for cheap things to buy in New York such as NYC memorabilia, or are wondering what souvenirs to buy in New York for the kid’s school friends, neighbourhood kids, and anyone else you remember at the last minute, these are good souvenirs from New York.
- New York souvenir coin (also called a New York pressed penny)
- New York iron on patches, or badges
- New York lapel pins
- New York tea towel
- New York tote bags
- New York wall calendars
(See below for a list of the best souvenir shops in NYC)
No.19: Best Budget Souvenirs from New York
The most popular New York City souvenirs for budget travellers are things you can collect for free as part of your New York tourist adventures, or on the cheap, and then display back at home.
Here’s a few fun ideas of what to do with them:
- Frame a set of cute NY postcards. (If they are vintage, all the better!)
- Buy a Wall Street Journal or New York Times newspaper and frame the front page
- Frame ticket stubs from the theater, or the playbill from that Broadway show you saw
- Put all your NYC attractions tickets from places you visited (eg the Rockefeller ice skating, Madame Tussauds, Children’s Museum of Manhattan, the Natural History Museum of New York, Empire State Building, subway tickets, Museum ticket stubs, etc ) into a shadow box to display
- Collect New York matchboxes from hotels and restaurants you visit, and display them inside a jumbo cognac brandy glass
- Frame a New York subway map or New York bus map
- Frame your favourite New York City restaurant menus, or scan them and collect them all in a photo book
- Souvenir book from a Broadway show or playbills
- Frame a collection of New York restaurant coasters from your travels
- Collect subway or transport cards (eg Metrocard) from the city, and display them in a wallet pouch
No.20: Best FREE Souvenirs from New York
Put these New York mementos in a collage under glass, or arrange an assortment of them on a pin board
- New York shop receipts
- New York sweets wrappers of candy and chocolate you don’t have at home
- Fold out tourist maps from the New York tourist information office
FOOD SOUVENIRS FROM NEW YORK
You can’t go wrong buying someone a gift of food from New York, especially if it’s candy, chocolate, or American snacks.
Check out the best candy stores in NYC below, as well as the best chocolate shops in New York.
No.21: Best American Snacks Made in New York
These are a few more options when it comes to food souvenirs to bring back from New York.
These are perfect gifts if you are wondering what to buy in New York for foodie friends and family.
- Peanut Butter & Co peanut butter
- HIP Artisan brand of jams, jellies, and marmalades
- Mini black and white cookies from William Greensberg desserts
- Mama Lam’s hot sauce and curry pastes
- Maya’s Syrups and Jams
- Cookies from the Brooklyn Cookie company
- Squish marshmallows ( you know you want to!)
- Sweet Muse brownies
- Sustainable snacks (plant based bites)
- Momo dressing – hand crafted Japanese salad dressings
- Brittle and Beyond candy
Check out all the Made in New York items here.
No.22: Famous New York Food to Eat on the Go
You can also taste test the following iconic New York food as you wander under the New York city skyline!
- Burger from Shake Shack
- Lox and cream cheese bagel from Zucker’s Bagels
- Juniors cheesecake – New York’s most famous cheesecake
- Red Velvet cake from Piece of Velvet in Brooklyn
- Hot dogs from Nathan’s Famous
- New York pizza by the slice
- Banana Pudding from Magnolia Bakery, or a cupcake (made famous by Sex and the City)
- A Pastrami sandwich or a Reuben sandwich with corned beef from Katz Deli
- Zola Bakes instagram famous rainbow cookies
- Rainbow Bagels from The Bagel Store
- Cookie dough from Cookie DŌ
- Chocolate dipped pretzels from Fatty Sundays
- Cronut from Dominique Ansel bakery
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from Serendipity 31
- Meatballs from the Meatball Shop
If you are still hungry, check out the Food Trucks near Radio City Music Hall.
THE BEST NEW YORK CANDY STORES
No.23: Best American Candy to try
Want to know where to buy fudge in NYC?
Or searching for unique American candy to take home?
Find American candy bars such as:
- Fun dip
- Nerds candy
- Payday bars
- Pixy Stix
- Sour power candy
- Jelly Belly beans
- Candy jewelry, including candy watches, ring pops, and candy necklaces
- Gummies, and
- Candy by the pound.
Visit one of these shops below.
No.24: Economy Candy New York souvenirs
This shop is floor to ceiling candy and is one of New York’s iconic candy stores since 1937.
Their best sellers include:
- chocolate covered graham crackers (with and without jelly)
- chocolate covered pretzels
- jelly rings
- gummies and
- penny candy.
Look out for their decade mixes, a tub of the best American candy from the 1950s, the 1960s, the 1970s, the 1980s and the 1990’s.
Find Economy Candy at 108 Rivington St, New York.
No.25: Dylan’s Candy Bar Flagship Store
One of our favorite candy shops in New York is Dylan Candy Bar.
It’s NOT cheap, but it’s the place to find unusual and unique candy in New York.
Fill a jar, or a tin with all your fave penny candy, some of which are exclusive to Dylans Candy shop.
Book a table at the cafe upstairs for a real sugar rush!
Visit the Flagship Dylans Candy Store and Restaurant at 1011 Third Ave, New York, near Central Park.
Image credit: Sean Farrelly
No.26: The Sweet Shop NYC treats
Pop in for a visit to the Sweet Shop NYC, the nostalgic candy store in New York.
They specialize in retro candy and sweets that take you back to your childhood, plus:
- handmade chocolates
- handmade fudge
- gelato and
Do not visit if you are watching your waistline.
The artisan ice cream is too much temptation!
Visit at 404 East 73rd Street, between 1st and York Avenues, New York
No.27: M&M’s World New York gifts
Buy your favorite M&M’s candy from this shop, a bright explosion of color and interactive games, exhibitions and merchandise.
This shop is an experience, not just a place to buy junk food.
Look out for the pick’n’mix Color Your World wall, an ode to M&M’s in every color choice available.
Find M&M world New York at at 1600 Broadway, New York.
THE BEST NEW YORK CHOCOLATE SHOPS
The best New York chocolate can be found at any one of these New York chocolate shops.
No.28: Hershey’s Chocolate World Times Square
Yes, this is a tourist trap but gosh it’s fun to visit Hersheys Chocolate World in Times Square to buy up a few big bags of the iconic Hershey’s Kisses, wrapped in silver foil.
You can personalize your own HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Bar wrapper, or surprise your loved one with an in-store message on the display board!
Try a signature Hershey’s dessert from the Hershey’s Kitchen Bakery while you are here, but most importantly, don’t leave till you’ve tried the HERSHEY’S Double Chocolate S’mores made instore!
Find these NY souvenirs at 20 Times Square building, at 701 7th Ave, New York.
Image credit: Myzel’s Chocolate
No.29: Myzel’s chocolate gifts
Myzel’s is a boutique European-style chocolate shop featuring:
- handmade truffles
- cookies &
- over 100 flavors of licorice.
Their ultimate chocolate cookie is the reason to visit. You will not find another cookie like it in Manhattan.
Buy a gift box.
Find the best NYC souvenirs for chocoholics at 140 W 55th St # 1, New York.
Image credit: Raaka Chocolate Co.
No.30: Raaka Chocolate Brooklyn
Raaka choocolate shop makes their chocolate from scratch, bean-to-bar, in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Join a tour of the New York chocolate shop, or take a chocolate making class.
They run several times a week.
Visit at 64 Seabring Street Brooklyn, NY 11231
THE BEST NEW YORK MUSEUM SHOPS FOR UNIQUE NEW YORK SOUVENIRS!
No.31: MoMA gift shop souvenirs
MoMA Design Store next to the lobby of MoMA museum in New York has over 2,000 publications representing each of the Museum’s curatorial departments.
Plus an unbelievable range of curated New York gifts and souvenirs including:
- kids arts and crafts
- kids toys
- New York prints
- umbrellas, AND
- a range of MoMA exclusives such as MoMA & Vans collaboration, and
- a cool sweatshirt designed in conjunction with Yoko Ono.
Keep an eye on the MoMA events.
You can meet the Design store buyers to hear first hand how they do what they do, there’s book signings, monogramming events, story times, and more.
No.32: New York Public Library Gift shop souvenirs
Find quirky authentic New York souvenirs at our favorite shop in New York.
Pick up a NYPL library card enamel pin, a hoodie, a stainless steel water bottle, or a library tote bag.
- quote bookmarks
- desk caddies for all your New York stationery
- world globes
- design NYC t-shirts
- funky ties
- silk printed scarves
- fabulous socks
- hand crafted jewelry
This shop is the place to go to find ALL the New York books for adults and kids, New York travel guides, and New York coffee table books.
Open Monday to Saturday from 10am to 6pm, at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018
Image credit: Jimmy Roche
No.33: New York Transit Museum Store souvenirs
This is another cool museum shop in New York selling all kinds of New York souvenirs and memorabilia.
- Back To School gifts
- New York bus toys
- New York subway toys
- model trains
- totes and backpacks
- desk accessories
- NYC home decor, and tableware
All of the above feature famous New York transport icons including:
- the subway
- Grand Central Station
- metro cards,
- subway maps
- subway tokens etc.
The NY Transit Museum & Store can be located at 99 Schermerhorn St, Brooklyn, New York.
BEST NEW YORK MARKETS
Visit any of these New York markets to find that one-of-a-kind New York gift for friends and family, eat up big at the food trucks, and soak up the locals-only atmosphere.
No.34: Chelsea Market souvenirs
An enclosed urban food court and shopping mall in the Meatpacking District of New York, the Chelsea market attracts over 6 million visitors a year to this gourmet indoor food hall.
The Chelsea market is housed in a building, not far from the Hudson river greenway.
It covers an area that is a block wide, and a block long.
Chelsea food vendors sell:
- hot bread and soup
- fresh crepes and baked goods
- nuts, spices
- artisan chocolates
- fruit and vegetables
- Italian food
- classic American ice cream
- smoked meats
- coffee and tea
- desserts and cheesecake.
You’ll also find the Artists and Fleas market, Anthropologie, and Neighbourhood goods variety store.
It’s open 7 days a week from early till late.
Find Chelsea Market at 75 9th Ave, New York.
Image credit: Smorgasboard
No.35: Smorgasboard Markets gifts
A fun atmospheric seasonal outdoor foodie market on Saturdays in Williamsburg Brooklyn.
There’s 100+ vendors and views of the NYC skyline as a bonus!
Find it at East River State Park, 90 Kent Ave. (at N. 7 St.) Brooklyn
Hot tip: You’ll also find a smaller Smorgasboard market at the World Trade Center on Fridays from 11-7pm at Oculus Plaza, Manhattan.
On Sundays, head to Prospect Park, Breeze Hill on East Drive at Lincoln Rd. Brooklyn, NY.
Shop from over 100+ vendors here.
No.36: Union Square Green Market souvenirs
The Union Square Greenmarket is a farmer’s market in New York that has been in place since 1976!
- just-picked fresh fruits and vegetables
- heritage meats
- award-winning farmstead cheeses
- artisan breads
- cut flowers and plants
- maple syrup and more.
There’s cooking and tasting demos, book signings, pop ups and interactive displays.
Join the 60,000 odd strong crowd to experience this green market in New York.
Hot tip: Go early to get the best stuff.
Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday all year round from 8am to 6pm at North and West sides of Union Square Park .
Image credit: Grand Central Market
No.37: Grand Central Market at Grand Central Terminal New York
13 local vendors sell all kinds of commuter-friendly food and drink.
It’s a great place to go for New York gift boxes for foodies.
You can buy Li-Lac chocolate, and pick up coffee or spices.
Look for fun food-themed gifts from taco socks to practical kitchen gadgets at the E.A.T. pop-up.
Find it at the Grand Central Station, between the Graybar Building and the 4/5/6 Subway lines on Lexington Avenue
Image credit: Neo Lan
BEST FLEA MARKETS IN NEW YORK
No.38: Green Flea Market souvenirs
Do not miss the Green Flea markets, the best indoor and outdoor market in Manhattan. Open Sundays 10am to 5.30pm, rain or shine.
30 years strong, you’ll find a huge selection of antique, vintage and artisan vendors selling everything from handmade and vintage clothing , home decor, jewelry, fashion accessories, and imported goods from Nepal, Tibet, India, China, Burma, and Thailand.
The collectibles vendors are the best!
Look out for:
- baseball cards
- vintage tea cups
- American bric-a-brac
- enamel pins
- antique prints
- miniature collectibles
- shells and stones
- vintage American college banners
- rare coins
- artefacts and glass bottles.
If you love to shop for cool and crazy souvenirs in New York, head to 100 West 77th St, New York. 10024.
Image credit: Artists & Fleas Chelsea market
No.39: Artists and Fleas New York Markets
Artists and Fleas is a marketplace of makers including “tastemakers, experience creators, designers, collectors and curators”.
It’s THE place in New York for handmade goods and things of good design in Manhattan.
- hand-crafted jewelry
- soaps and beauty goods
- fun hats and caps
- handmade shoes and boots
- fabulous clothing and shirts
- maps, prints
- laser cards
- handbags, and
- very cute New York souvenir stationery, souvenir prints and canvases.
There’s an Artists and Fleas market in Chelsea and SoHo in Manhattan, and another in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
The Chelsea Artists and Fleas market is at 88 10th Avenue at West 15th Street.
NEW YORK CHRISTMAS MARKETS
No.40: New York Christmas souvenirs
The best Christmas markets in New York City for shopping and a jolly Christmas atmosphere are:
- Bryant Park Holiday Market
- Union Square Holiday market
- Manhattan Christmas Markets
- Grand Central Terminal Holiday Fair
- Columbus Circle Holiday Market
You can also visit the Christmas in New York shop in Little Italy for Christmas decor, ornaments & collectibles, with personalization available.
The Aladdin’s cave that is the Christmas Cottage in the Wellington Hotel on 871 7th Ave, New York is said to be the oldest Chrismas decor store in New York.
They’ve been in business for over 32 years, selling unique Christmas goods you won’t find anywhere else.
MORE FUN STORES IN NYC FOR NEW YORK GIFTS & SOUVENIRS
No.41: Chess Forum New York souvenirs
The best shop in New York for strategists who LOVE a good chess game.
Find chess boards, chess pieces, plus computer games & backgammon gear at 219 Thompson St, New York.
Image credit: TCSBGS on Facebook
No.42: The Compleat Strategist Board Game Shop souvenirs
The Compleat Strategist in New York City has been in business for four decades.
This gaming headquarters stocks a gigantic collection of:
- board games
- role-playing games
- family and party games
- dice and dice games
- collectible card games
- miniatures, and
- chess sets too.
Visit in store at 11 E 33rd St, New York.
Image credit: Peculiar Planet
No.43: The Peculiar Planet Brooklyn New York souvenirs (formerly Planet Cute)
Their motto is ‘where the weirdos shop’ but it’s really the home of:
- CUTE and wacky enamel pins
- home decor
- stickers and
- plush toys.
Find brands including Tokidoki, Sourpuss, Pusheen, Irregular Choice shoes, and Aluminium Bunny cards, pins and stationery.
Visit the store in person at 704 Washington Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11238
Image credit: Joshua Bernstein
No.44: Abracadabra NYC dress up costumes
If you have a budding magician or a kid who loves to dress up, (or perhaps YOU love to dress up), visit Abracadabra in New York City.
It’s a mega-store full of:
- hand-crafted costumes
- masquerade masks
- props, &
- magician’s supplies.
Find both cute and grotesque costumes for Halloween, events, and dress up costume parties too.
They have a prop and costume rental service, or one of their seamstresses can whip you up a custom outfit of your choice.
Get your spook on at 19 West 21st Street, between 5th and 6th Ave, New York.
No.45: New York Costumes
Another costume shop in New York, this one, alternatively referred to as Halloween Adventure in the East Village, is often called the BEST costume shop in the world.
The two-storey shop is an entire city block long!
Warning: This is not a shop for babies, toddlers or small children unless you want to frighten them for life!
Find the best costumes in New York for:
- Mardi Gras
- Dress Up Birthday Parties
- Themed Events
- Independence Day
- St Patricks Day
- Valentine’s Day
- Christmas parties, and
- Halloween too.
Enter at 104 4th Ave at 11th street and 808 Broadway at 11th street. Open 7 days.
Also visit Gothic Renaissance, New York City’s most renowned Gothic Boutique, located 108 4th Ave, right next door to New York Costumes.
Image credit: Evie Tang
No.46: The Strand -18 miles of books
This is the best community book store in New York.
Over 90 years old, this store has:
- all the best sellers
- new releases
- young adult books
- books for kids, and
- rare and collectible books.
Look for the Staff Picks.
Scour the fabulous range of New York gifts in stock including:
- cards and wrap
- totes and bags
- New York themed stationery
- fun kitchenware
- NYC chocolate,
- and gifts for kids themed around this iconic city
Events are a regular feature, and there’s FREE storytelling and crafts for kids weekly.
Shop for all the books at 828 Broadway at 12th Street, New York, NY 10003
No.47: Disney Store Times Square
How could you not stop by the DISNEY Store in Times Square?
If are a Disney fan, pop this giant Disney shop on your itinerary to find:
- official Disney character toys
- Disney clothes
- Disney collectibles
- Disney theme park merchandise
- Disney dress up costumes,
- plus all the Mickey Mouse goods.
Disney Times Square is located at 1540 Broadway, New York.
WHERE TO GO NEW YORK SOUVENIR SHOPPING?
Here’s our tips on the best New York shopping destinations including our favourite shops, and markets in New York.
Image credit: Marco Togni
BEST NEW YORK SOUVENIR SHOPS
Wondering where to buy souvenirs in New York with a difference? Not your run of the mill trashy souvenir. Try these New York souvenir shops.
No.1: I Love Souvenirs gift shop
Saving money is the reason to visit this New York shop.
There’s all of the same NY souvenirs, but at better prices than anywhere else.
It’s worth a look.
Dig deep to get past the junk to find the odd treasure here and there.
Go shopping at 377 5th Ave, between 35th & 36th and between 32nd & 33rd, New York City, NY
No.2: Memories of New York
Find all the officially licensed New York City souvenirs including:
- I Heart New York” t-shirts
- New York snow globes
- wallets and backpacks
- picture frames
- postcards of New York
- NYC coffee mugs
- Statue of Liberty statues
- NYC baseball hats
- Christmas ornaments of New York
- funny money
- kitsch aprons
- New York magnets & keychains
- plus unique and hard to find pop culture merch.
Memories of New York is located right down the street from the world-famous Flatiron Building and near Madison Square Park.
Call into the store at 206 5th Ave, New York 10010 from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m, 7 days a week.
Image credit: Norbert Tai
No.3: The Evolution Store New York
This is the place to buy New York souvenirs with a difference!
The Evolution Store in New York is a museum-style shop full to the brim of science & natural history-related collectibles, gifts & furnishings.
Their signature souvenir is one of their preserved specimens in resin or clear fluid in a jar.
These are just like the ones you see in the Natural History museum.
- a real Shark in a Jar
- flower beetles in resin
- framed insects
- freeze-dried living fossils including a crocodile head, or a rattlesnake head.
- crystals and agate slices
- anatomical models, and
- replica skeletons.
Look for the range of homewares including world globes, posters, prints, puzzles, models, candy and snacks.
Visit in person at 687 Broadway, New York.
Image credit: Brooklyn Super Hero Supply Co
No.4: Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co
Stop in at the Brooklyn headquarters to pick up all the:
- Superhero costumes
- Superhero books
- unique maps
- fun posters
- fabulous gifts & toys,
- AND a whole lot of SUPERPOWERS!
(Including one-quart tins of Chutzpah!)
Say hello from Tuesday to Sunday 12pm to 6pm at 372 5th ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Image credit: Catbird boutique
No.5: Catbird Brooklyn
Catbird is a much-loved jewelry store selling trademark fine, personal jewelry.
They also stock a range of curated gifts and souvenirs including:
- nail polish
- after dinner playing cards
- soy candles
- incense and incense holders
- illustrated cards
- New York stationery
- stylish kitchenware including dishes, plates and saucers.
Take a trip to the main boutique at 219 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn.
Image credit: Lockwood
Looking for local souvenirs with a design edge?
This is the spot for:
- gorgeous handbags and tote bag
- colorful pens and stationery
- super cute kitchenware (the marble and wood cheeseboards are divine!)
- an elegant range of beauty and wellness gifts.
Make a beeline for Lockwood at 32-15 33rd St Astoria, NY 11106, just over the bridge from Manhattan.
BEST NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT STORES
These are the New York department stores to put on your New York shopping itinerary.
No.1: Macy’s New York
Macys New York on Herald Square in New York is one of the biggest Department stores in America.
There’s something for everyone at Macys, including:
- designer clothes by Burberry, Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein
- makeup and beauty by Clinique and Estee Lauder, and
- everyday wear by Levis.
Wondering what to buy in New York souvenirs for those who love designer threads?
Pick up a new handbag, a new winter coat, a new swimsuit, or a new pair of sunglasses from Macy’s.
They’ve got it all.
Check the schedule in store for current Macy’s events too, including Breakfast with Santa!
Find the entrance on 151 West 34th Street, New York
Image credit: Indah Nuria Savitri
No.2: Bergdorf Goodman
Bergdorf Goodman Department Store on Fifth Avenue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City is another luxury goods store in New York that has been around since 1899.
It’s the spot to buy:
- Manolo Blahnik shoes
- Prada handbags
- Ralph Lauren polo shirts
- Carolina Herrera dresses, and all the best designer brands.
Luckily, there’s regular sales so even the most conservative shopper can find a ‘bargain’ every now and then.
Take a peek at the Bergdorf Goodman 5th Avenue store at 754 5th Ave, New York.
Image credit: John Eichenberg
No.3: Barneys New York
Barneys New York is a speciality retailer in the luxe market.
Find elegant clothing and ready-to-wear men’s and women’s apparel from the world’s top designers plus all the best accessories.
- fragrances, and
- gifts for the home too.
Visit at Christmas in New York to see the original holiday themed decor, and celebrated window displays.
Find Barney’s Madison Avenue at 660 Madison Avenue, New York.
No.4: Bloomingdales SoHo
Plan for at least two to three hours of browsing at Bloomingdale’s in SoHo.
This store is home to distinctive one-of-a-kind products, many of which you won’t find anywhere else.
The Bloomingdale’s motto of creativity, quality and uniqueness guides the store buyers in making sure all their gifts and souvenirs will be cherished for years to come.
Bloomingdale’s SoHo is at 504 Broadway, New York.
Image credit: Dongin C
No.5: Century 21 Downtown Manhattan store
This downtown Manhattan icon has been a NYC retail icon since 1961. Century 21 Department Store is a seven-storey shop for designer brands at budget prices.
- designer clothing
- ready to wear clothing
- handbags, totes, backpacks, and clutches,
- hardside and softside luggage
- shoes, sunglasses and umbrellas.
Plus kids wear, home decor, tech gadgets AND a toy shop!
Visit the original store (rebuilt after 9/11) at 22 Cortlandt Street, New York NY 10007.
No.6: Saks Fifth Avenue
Saks Fifth Avenue main flagship store is located on Fifth Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.
Be sure to check out the elegant building, home of clothing and goods for “fashionable, gracious living” since 1924.
You may not have the cash to buy the Hooded Sable Fur Coat (at over $100,000 USD), but there’s nothing stopping you from enjoying a browse through their collection of beautiful clothing and home decor.
Don’t miss their Christmas Holiday tabletop collections, gourmet food, and Christmas ornaments.
Pop on your shopping shoes and head to 611 Fifth Avenue, New York
Image credit: Jason McCann
No.7: ABC Carpet & Home
It’s strange to believe a shop called ABC carpet and home could be a treasure trove for New York souvenir hunting.
There’s six floors, full of beautiful New York inspired:
- bathroom accessories
- fabulous kitchenware
- makeup and skincare
- plush toys
- and a range of HANDMADE goods in New York.
ABC Carpet and Home is at 888 Broadway, New York.
ART AND CRAFT SHOPS IN NEW YORK CITY
Check out the Renegade Craft Fair.
Our comprehensive guide on where to shop in NYC for fabric and craft supplies.
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below for more New York ideas.