Rotorua Family Accommodation.
Have you ever wondered who wins competitions?
So I’m now super happy to report that winning competitions is possible. It’s not just that friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who wins epic travel adventures. It happens to people you know, including us!
YES! We won TWO NIGHTS of Rotorua Family Accommodation, plus entry to three awesome things to do in Rotorua, thanks to our fellow travel blogger friends at Travel Mad Mum via Instagram.
- 1 So what’s a Girl and her Gnome to do?
- 2 Family Accommodation Rotorua NZ
- 3 Places to Stay in Rotorua – a Bach House
- 4 There’s a Sunken Lounge
- 5 Blanket Box provided
- 6 Rotorua Accommodation with Private Spa Pool!
- 7 Cheap Accommodation for Family in Rotorua?
- 8 More Photos of Redwoods Retreat Bach House
- 9 Bedrooms
- 10 Car Parking at the back of the house
- 11 Finding the Lock Box
- 12 The Inside Scoop – Book a Bach Holiday Houses Rotorua
- 13 Location of Redwoods Retreat
- 14 Toadstool Rating – Redwoods Retreat, Rotorua Family Accommodation
- 15 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN Things to Do in Rotorua New Zealand?
So what’s a Girl and her Gnome to do?
Book flights, that’s what.
(AUD $200 return per person from Gold Coast to Auckland, thanks to a super dooper sale at our favourite low-cost airline Jetstar.)
Family Accommodation Rotorua NZ
Our two nights family accommodation in Rotorua was gifted to us courtesy of Rotorua Retreats. (Thank you!)
They are accommodation providers with a difference, offering a selection of what New Zealanders call ‘baches’ or holiday homes to families travelling to Rotorua who want something a little more like home than what a regular hotel, motel or cabin in a caravan park can offer.
We stayed at Redwoods Retreat, metres from the Redwood Forest, but there are Bach houses to suit all kinds of families. Check them out here.
Places to Stay in Rotorua – a Bach House
Booking a Bach gives mums and dads way more flexibility than other accommodation options.
- A kitchen to cook in if you want to, helping families to stay on budget and avoid expensive restaurant bills
- A comfy full-size lounge room – likely with entertainment for all the family including books, boardgames, and big screen tv’s
- A dining area with table and chairs
- A bathroom, often with a bath – ideal for families with babies and toddlers
- Outdoor space – somewhere to park the car, or take part in a game of handball with the kids at the end of a busy day
- Bedrooms – Redwoods Retreat has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and sleeps seven.
- Baby stuff to use – Redwoods Retreat has a high chair, and you can request a cot too. (Hot tip: There’s no extra charge for the under 2’s at Redwoods Retreat either. Just let them know when you book)
There’s a Sunken Lounge
Our Bach, Redwoods Retreat, had a carpeted sunken lounge (helping us to keep our tootsies warm), a wood-fueled fireplace, and a vine-covered nook to eat breakfast in the morning sun.
Blanket Box provided
But it was the BLANKET BOX that sold us. What hotel would ever have a blanket box?
We loved all the comforts of home in this Rotorua family accommodation, but mostly that professionally-laundered hotel quality linen and towels are provided.
I am NOT a fan of lugging my bedding or towels on holiday.
Rotorua Accommodation with Private Spa Pool!
If you are super lucky, like we were, the Bach house you book might even have a HOT TUB on the deck!
The private spa pool there is permanently heated throughout the day and night, so all you have to do is take the lid off, and jump right in.
We ran out of time to try it this time round, because there’s SO many super exciting and fun Rotorua family activities to do, but we’ll be back.
Hot tip: You need at least ten days in Rotorua to do them all. Three days was no way near long enough.
Cheap Accommodation for Family in Rotorua?
Is hiring a Bach in Rotorua a cheaper option for families?
It’s definitely comparable to hotel rates per night, BUT the extra space means you can spread out and stop sibling squabbles.
Plus the location, close to supermarkets and non-touristy cafes, can save you money in the long run.
Given the choice, the chance to stay in a family-style home trumps a hotel stay most days.
(Edit for honesty: Access to kids club at a hotel might sway our decision!)
More Photos of Redwoods Retreat Bach House
That’s one tired kid on the left!
No matter how many beds or bedrooms there are, they always end up together, in bed with me.
Car Parking at the back of the house
Finding the Lock Box
We arrived in the dark. Our first quest was to find the lock box near the back stairs so we could put in our magical code and retrieve the keys.
For those of you who are as clueless as me, the lock box is at the top of the door that leads under the house. This door is to the right of the base of the stairs.
The Inside Scoop – Book a Bach Holiday Houses Rotorua
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: Redwoods Retreat is on Lynmore Avenue, in Lynmore Rotorua. (About 5 minutes drive from the CBD and 200 metres from Redwoods Forest).
Telephone: +64 21 155 1444
Email: [email protected]
Website: Rotorua Retreats
Cost: From approx. $210 NZ per night, depending on family size.
How to book: Book the Redwoods Retreat Rotorua Family Accommodation through Book a Bach or book direct via Rotorua Retreats (Hot tip: check the special deals on the website here)
How to get there:
- By Car/Taxi/Uber: From the CBD, take Amohau St. This turns into Te Ngau Road (State Highway 30A.) Follow this road for 2.5 kms. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Tarawera Rd. Drive for 700 m. Turn left onto Lynmore Ave. House is 200 metres along, on the left.
Parking: Free off-street parking available behind the house. Drive into the driveway and turn left after the stairs.
Location of Redwoods Retreat
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options:
- The Shopping Centre at the roundabout at the end of the road has Burger Fuel, Coffee Club, Dominos Pizza, and a Bakery. Plus a Medical Centre and Pharmacy.
- If your kids are like mine, and prefer Subway over burgers, you’ll be happy to know they can be found on the opposite side of the roundabout.
Disability access: Limited. Stairs to front and back door. Sunken lounge.
Closest ATM: Try the Gull Petrol station – turn right at the roundabout as you exit the street, and it’s on your left, 300 metres along Te Ngae Rd.
Closest playground: Try the Chipmunks Playland and Cafe, at the Motion Entertainment complex at 346/352 Te Ngae Rd, Lynmore, 3010 Rotorua, New Zealand
Dogs & Pets: No
- Yes. There’s FREE WIFI in the house
- BYO tea, coffee, food supplies.
- Fully equipped kitchen available.
Toadstool Rating – Redwoods Retreat, Rotorua Family Accommodation
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN Things to Do in Rotorua New Zealand?
Click the links in blue below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.