INSIDE: The Complete Guide to London River Cruise Deals for Families.
One heavenly blue-sky day in London with kids in tow, we made our way through Hyde Park to the Thames river via Big Ben.
The kids were awed by the great brown river in front of them, much more so than the historical significance of any of the buildings around them, so we made a snap decision to take advantage of their interest in the poo-hue water, and jump on a Thames River Cruise in London.
With the London Eye shining brightly to the left, we made our way to the City Cruises ticket office on the Westminster Pier, via a steep staircase below the Westminster Bridge in London that was NOT pram-friendly.
- 1 River Cruise on the River Thames – London Sightseeing with Kids
- 2 London River Cruise – a rest for weary feet!
- 3 Sightseeing on this River Cruise London
- 4 City Cruises London cafe
- 5 The Inside Scoop – River Thames Boat Trips
- 6 The Best London River Cruise Deals
- 7 How to get to the City Cruises London Boat Terminal
- 8 Thames River Map
- 9 Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
- 10 Looking for More London Museums for Kids?
River Cruise on the River Thames – London Sightseeing with Kids
City Cruises sightseeing cruises depart every 40 minutes from piers at Westminster, London Eye, Tower and Greenwich.
They also run circular cruises from Tower and Bankside pier.
We rode from Big Ben to Tower Bridge London.
London River Cruise – a rest for weary feet!
With snacks and a few sweet treats in hand, the kids were happy to take a break from all the walking and strollering, and kick back on the boat for this London River Cruise .
We took a seat on the far left side of the boat, heading in the direction of Tower Bridge but as long as you claim ‘window’ seats, the kids will be happy.
There’s cultural sights on both sides of the river, and they are big enough to spot without having to jump up and down.
On our Thames river boat cruise, we had a very funny guy sharing stories of England, new and old. Even Ned could keep up, and laugh along he did!
This is the best river cruise London style.
Sightseeing on this River Cruise London
Between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge, Thames River Boats pass lots of London tourist attractions and famous London landmarks.
See if the kids can spot:
- Houses of Parliament (as if they’d want to!)
- Palace of Whitehall
- Big Ben
- London Eye
- Oxo Tower
- St Paul’s Cathedral
- The strangely shaped ‘Gherkin’ building
- The Shard
- HMS Belfast
- Waterloo Bridge
- Millenium Footbridge
- London Bridge
- Tower of London
- The Tower Bridge
While the kids may not be in awe of these historical buildings on any London boat tour, YOU will be!
London sightseeing is exceptional.
City Cruises London cafe
Thames Cruise Boats have café-bars with sandwiches, snacks, soft drinks, wine, beer and more.
You can also book a London river cruise with afternoon tea, or a lunch cruise.
The Inside Scoop – River Thames Boat Trips
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in pounds.
- Departures begin from around 10am.
- Cruises depart every 40 minutes
- They run extra services during peak periods
- In summer/spring, river cruise London boats operate until around 7pm. In Winter/Autumn, the last cruise of the day finishes earlier. For last boats of the day, please check with staff or visit here to view timetables. River Cruises London with City Cruises continue in all-weather on every day of the week, all year round, from four piers in the heart of London: Westminster, London Eye, Tower, and Greenwich.
Facilities on board:
- Full toilet facilities on board each boat
The Best London River Cruise Deals
City Cruises London Prices
Let’s take a look at the best London river cruise deals for families here. Hot tip: Book online and save.
City Cruises London 24 hour Hop-on Hop-off Family Pass –
A 24 hour Hop-On Hop-Off Family Pass (2A + 3C) is the cheapest way to go. This Thames River cruise family ticket is a bargain at £39 if there’s two adults in your family.
If there’s less people in your family, individual 24 hour pass Rover Tickets cost:
- Adults £19.50
- Children £12.50
Combo Ticket – Save up to 20% on a Top London Attraction + River Cruise
We bought a Tower Bridge Combo ticket including a Hop-on Hop-off all day sightseeing 24-hr pass River Cruise from Westminster to Tower Pier, with entry into the Tower Bridge exhibition.
The cost of the package is £23.10 for adults, and £13.20 for kids 5 -15.
Jack was free, as children aged 0 – 4 years go FREE!
MORE OPTIONS for a City Cruises 24-hour Sightseeing Pass & One London Attraction
You can also combine a City Cruises 24-hour sightseeing pass, with one of fifteen other top London attractions with their tour packages.
Pick the London attraction of your choice from this list. NB: Combo Ticket prices vary depending on the attraction.
- The London Dungeon
- Tower of London
- Greenwich Explorer Pass
- Royal Observatory
- Cutty Sark
- Madame Tussauds
- London Sea Life Aquarium
- London Eye
- Shrek’s Adventure!
- The View from the Shard
- The Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Exhibition & Tour
- St Paul’s Cathedral
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kews Garden
See package prices, and buy tickets here.
Regular Ticket Prices on a River Thames Boat Ride
Children tickets are valid for kids 5-15 years. Under 4’s free.
Single Tickets – One Way (taking you from one pier to the next)
- Westminster/London Eye to Greenwich – online price from £13.25 adults, and £11.25 children
- Westminster to Tower, or Tower to Greenwich, or vice versa – online price from £16.00 adults and £10.75 children
- Westminster/London Eye to Greenwich, or vice versa – online price from £17.50 adults, and £8.50 children
- Westminster to Tower, or Tower to Greenwich – online price from £10.75 adults and £7.00 children
How to get to the City Cruises London Boat Terminal
- The pier is situated next to Westminster Bridge, by the entrance to Westminster underground station, which connects you to the Circle, District and Jubilee lines.
London Eye Pier
- Occasionally known as Waterloo Millennium Pier, this is close to Waterloo underground and railway stations and across the river from Embankment and Charing Cross underground and railway station. The pier is located directly beneath the capital’s London Eye.
- Tower Pier is close to Tower Hill underground station, Tower Gateway DLR station, and London Bridge train station is not far off.
- Greenwich Pier is near to Cutty Sark DLR station (Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich). It is also close to Greenwich railway station.
Thames River Map
Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
A river cruise with kids is always a good idea on a beautiful blue sky day!