INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s Guide to Popa’s Pretzels in Auckland
$5 for a hot soft pretzel filled with yummy cheese is a magnificent late breakfast-on-the-go option in Auckland with kids.
Considering food in Auckland (and New Zealand in general) is some of the most expensive food we’ve ever found on our travels, a $5 pretzel is a big win.
Popas Pretzels are so good, the kids ate them for breakfast three days straight, AND begged to have them for dinner one day too!
- 1 UPDATE: Popa’s Pretzels in Auckland CBD on Queen street is now closed.
- 2 Popas Pretzels – Classic Pretzels $3.50 each
- 3 Popa’s Pretzels – Filled pretzels $5 each
- 4 Pretzel Sticks & Pretzel Wraps
- 5 Pretzel Pies & Manakish
- 6 The Inside Scoop – Popas Pretzels Auckland
- 7 Popas Pretzels in Auckland
- 8 How to get to Popa’s Pretzels
- 9 Toadstool Rating – Soft Pretzel Bakery
- 10 Looking for More Things to Do in Auckland New Zealand for Kids?
UPDATE: Popa’s Pretzels in Auckland CBD on Queen street is now closed.
Here is the notification from Facebook.
“Dear pretzels fans,
We have had a great journey through the 6 years of Popa’s Pretzels in Auckland.
We have met some wonderful people; we have been inspired by you and we have created new products quite unique and versatile; we have shared our love for food and our vision of hospitality.
Some of you even became our friends.
You can imagine thus our difficulty to say good-bye; we will never be able to fully part with you. You are now part of us.
For us, it is however the time for a break. It’s time to channel our attention towards family and family members, towards a safer and more balanced life. That’s what we wish for ourselves and that’s what we wish for you too.
Therefore, effective Friday 17th of May 2019, we ceased trading on our 350 Queen Street shop.
The business has been great to the very last day, but our attempts to find a worthy successor to continue trading on that place have not been fulfilled within the allocated time.”
Popas Pretzels – Classic Pretzels $3.50 each
Did you know Popas Pretzels are baked on site, so you need to be prepared for a 5 minute wait. But it’s worth it. These are handmade pretzels to die for.
Try classic pretzels in lots of sweet and savoury flavours and varieties. These are $3.50 each.
Popa’s Pretzels savoury flavours include:
- Pretzels with Cheese Please
- Rock Salt
- Roasted Sesame
- Sloppy Poppy
Their sweet tastes are:
- Poppy Opiate (!)
- Cinnamon Pretzels
- Chocolate Powder
- Coconut Threads
Popa’s Pretzels – Filled pretzels $5 each
Soft baked pretzels with savoury filling choices include:
- Cheddar cheese
- Cheese and marmite
- Cream cheese
- Cream cheese & zaatar
Sweet filled pretzels are:
- Apple and cinnamon
- Chocolate and walnut
- Custard and berries
Pretzel Sticks & Pretzel Wraps
You can also eat:
- Pretzel sticks wrapped around hot dogs
- Small-size Pretzel sticks wrapped around mini hot dogs, in a pack of 6
- Pretzel wraps in grilled chicken & franks, or grilled halloumi flavours. Pretzel Wraps are NZ $10.
Pretzel Pies & Manakish
Looking for an affordable hot dinner option to take back with you to the hotel after a big day of travelling with the kids?
These Pretzel Pies and cheese-covered pizza-style Manakish Dishes are bigger than your average pretzel, but equally as tasty. Pies and Manakish range from $7 – $12, depending on your topping choices.
Pack one or two in your backpack and retreat to your hotel with dinner sorted!
My goodness, just looking at the photos of this food makes my mouth water.
The Inside Scoop – Popas Pretzels Auckland
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address- Where to buy soft pretzels?
- Find Popa’s Pretzels was located in Auckland opposite Sky World Entertainment Centre on 350 Queen St, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand.
- There’s a bunch of hole-in-the-wall eateries on either side including mouth-watering chocolate-dipped churros right next door. We visited this row of takeaway eateries on our recent trip to Auckland more than we care to admit!
Popas Pretzels in Auckland
How to get to Popa’s Pretzels
- By Bus: Sky Bus takes you from the airport to Auckland CBD, with drop-off points along Queen Street
- By Car/Taxi/Uber: Disembark at Sky World Entertainment Centre, and cross the road.
Parking: Limited on-street parking available, or park in one of the parking stations nearby.
Disability access: Yes
Closest ATM: Many ATMs in the area. Find one to suit.
Closest playground: The very cool art-designed Myers Playground is 5 minutes walk away. Do not miss it.
Enclosed: Keep a close eye on young children as Popas Pretzels is on the main CBD thoroughfare of Queen Street.
Tables: No. Take them across the road to the plaza in front of Sky World. Plenty of seating here.
Popa’s Pretzels was last reviewed in August 2018.
Toadstool Rating – Soft Pretzel Bakery
Yum, yum, yum. (And I’m not a regular bread eater!)
The price is perfect too.
Looking for More Things to Do in Auckland New Zealand for Kids?
Click the blue links below.