INSIDE: Napier Playground. 2018.
Even on a grey, wet and rainy day, we end up at a playground.
The kids are immune to wet weather – a sprinkle of rain, and a deluge are equally as fun.
So stopping the car for an adventure at the Napier Playground on Marine Parade was a no-brainer.
The pics might not be fabulous, but the equipment is.
The epic Napier Playground is for ALL AGES!
Take a look below for details of what you’ll find and how to get there.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Guide to Napier Playground on Marine Parade
- 2 Napier Kids Activities for Toddlers
- 3 Napier Kids Playground Equipment for 7-12 year olds
- 4 BYO Picnic or BBQ at the Marine Parade playground in Napier
- 5 Junior Bike Track Napier
- 6 MORE Things to do in Napier with Kids
- 7 THE INSIDE SCOOP: Marine Parade Playground Napier
- 8 How to get to Napier Marine Parade Playground
- 9 Napier Playground Map
- 10 Facilities at Marine Parade Playground Napier
- 11 Toadstool Rating for Napier Seafront Playground
- 12 Looking for More Things to Do in New Zealand for Kids?
Guide to Napier Playground on Marine Parade
This ocean-front playground, sits on prime beachfront land, and while Napier beach might not be swimmable, the water view is pretty.
Best of all, the ENTIRE playground is fenced and gated to keep kids away from the water.
All Ages Napier Playground
Napier playground is broken up into age zones, so you can keep everybody entertained but at a level of difficulty that suits them.
It means the big kids aren’t running all over the little kids, and that the small fries don’t annoy the teens.
It’s the BEST all-ages playground we’ve been to, for that reason.
New Zealand family holidays should include a visit to the Art Deco town of Napier – there’s fun things for everyone to enjoy.
Napier Kids Activities for Toddlers
Playground Equipment for 2-7 year olds
- A ocean-themed ship fort with slides and climbing zones
- A King of the Castle Fort with sand buckets for sandplay
- A Mud Play area where kids can dig and build to their delight
- A four-person round seesaw
- A row of toddler swings
Napier Kids Playground Equipment for 7-12 year olds
The centrepiece for older kids is the Monster Fort, with:
- summit slide
- rock climbing walls
- rope handles
- ladders and a lookout.
Challenging for everyone from 10+.
This requires a big effort to get up top!
Pyramid Climbing Fort and Swings
- A Red Rope Pyramid climbing structure
- A five-way swing
- Slide bars
- A ‘skurfer’ swing (pictured at top)
Hexagonal Rock Climbing
- A hexagonal shaped rock climbing wall structure – this is tricky! (Bloqx Five)
- Gym equipment
- Parkour-style play equipment
- Spinning balance carousel
- A ‘sailboat’ to navigate
There’s rubber tiles on the floor throughout – a nice touch.
BYO Picnic or BBQ at the Marine Parade playground in Napier
Despite the gloomy weather, there were other families enjoying picnics and bbqs at the playground.
We’ve never seen so many undercover picnic tables, generously spaced out so you are not right on top of your neighbours.
FREE electric BBQ’s sit under a shade sail on the outside the playground fence, with unobstructed views to the water.
It’s the spot!
Image credit: Shamon Khan
Junior Bike Track Napier
The playground isn’t the only fun thing for kids to do in Napier.
On the other side of the playground, there’s a Junior Bike Track, with stop and go signs, traffic lights, and road signage.
It’s a place where kids can learn about road rules.
There’s also bike path that runs along the entire stretch of foreshore too, throughout Napier, and heading towards Cape Kidnappers and Hastings.
MORE Things to do in Napier with Kids
Along Napier foreshore on Marine Parade, there’s also:
- The National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Learn the Pania of the Reef Statue story
- Sunken Gardens
- Ocean Spa – hot pools await!
Plus, don’t forget to take a walking tour of the Art Deco architecture and retro styling and signage of the town.
It’s fun to spot all the different fonts!
Take a tour of the Art Deco highlights by the Vintage Bus for something a bit different.
(or book a vintage car tour of the art deco sights for your group!)
Drive up to see the views from the Napier Lookout over Port of Napier.
And book in for a self guided audio tour of Napier Prison – it’s hugely entertaining, strangely enough.
And do take a tour to Cape Kidnappers to see the largest mainland gannet colony.
It’s one of the few places in the world to see these birds up close.
THE INSIDE SCOOP: Marine Parade Playground Napier
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in AUD dollars, unless otherwise stated
The May and Peter Harris Playground is named after them in recognition of their significant donation to the Marine Parade playground project to “further improve its excellence”.
Address: 300 Marine Parade, Napier South 4110 New Zealand
Website: Click here
Opening Hours: Sunrise to sunset
Entry Fees: Free
How to get to Napier Marine Parade Playground
- Drive along Marine Parade towards town, and do a u-turn at first available junction after playground to enter car park.
- Click here for google map directions from your location
- Local bus from Hastings, Clive, Havelock North, or Taradale to Marine Parade.
- Check timetables here.
There’s free parking in the carpark to the right of the playground.
Napier Playground Map
Facilities at Marine Parade Playground Napier
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Danish Delight ice cream truck is out front of playground.
Toilets: Yes, including baby change facilities.
Disability access: Yes, but no specialised equipment
Toadstool Rating for Napier Seafront Playground
Looking for More Things to Do in New Zealand for Kids?
Click the blue links below.