INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s Guide to the best things to do in Byron Bay.
Byron Bay, home of the Lighthouse at the most Easterly point of Australia.
When we are not travelling the world with our happy gnome, Roam the Gnome, we are lucky enough to live in the Byron Shire.
Both boys attend school here between our travels.
The decadent weather, the abundant farmers markets, the happy songs that waft around town, the rainbows and the whales that pass by all winter long, make this one of Australia’s most popular holiday spots.
There’s no wonder.
Let us share OUR favourite things about Byron Bay and our local secrets with you.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Things to do in Byron Bay for kids
- 2 BEST PLACES TO EAT BYRON BAY
- 3 WHERE TO STAY IN BYRON BAY WITH KIDS
- 4 BYRON BAY EVENTS
- 5 BEST FREE THINGS TO DO IN BYRON BAY
- 6 WHERE TO SHOP IN BYRON BAY
- 7 Map Location
- 8 MORE THINGS TO DO IN BYRON BAY FOR FAMILIES
- 9 Things to do in Mullumbimby with Kids
- 10 Things to do in Brunswick Heads with Kids
- 11 Things to do in Murwillumbah with Kids
- 12 Looking for more things to do for kids locally?
Things to do in Byron Bay for kids
Take a look at these stories and find all the best family friendly attractions in Byron Bay below.
No.1: The Farm Byron Bay
The Farm is an easy morning out for kids in town.
There’s great coffee and divine food for everyone, and an open air playground, farm animals and room to run.
No.2: Crystal Castle
Crystal Castle is in the hills about 20 minutes away, but it’s the only place in the world where you can sit inside a GIANT Amethyst crystal cave.
Worth the trek just for that.
The kids playgrounds, and the mandala walks are fun too.
READ MORE: Awesome Things to Do in Byron Bay With Kids
No.3: The Macadamia Castle Byron Bay
Local families LOVE the Macadamia Castle in Knockrow.
Meet the animals, ride the train, play putt putt, climb the playground castle, pat the kangaroos and feed the baby farm animals too – all for one entry price.
You can also book the kids in for school holiday programs.
The Wildlife Guardians program is an educational day out for animal loving kids.
No.4: Circus Arts Byron Bay
Looking for things to do in Byron Bay when it rains?
Circus Arts is your saviour.
Book one of their school holidays workshops!
If you are looking for hippie things to do in Byron Bay, start here.
BEST PLACES TO EAT BYRON BAY
Food is epic in this town.
Find vegan, vegetarian, KETO, paleo, raw food, plant based, smoothies, acai bowls, handmade chocolate, spectacular coffee, and just about everything else.
Byron is THE spot for colourful, pretty food options too!
Your first stop should be the cafe at Macadamia Castle cafe in Knockrow.
You’ll meet LOTS of locals who go out of their way to stop in here for a delicious breakfast and COFFEE.
(There’s also an epic gift shop selling LOTS of local produce and bottled goods to take home.)
Back in town, start your foodie adventures with breakfast at the Folk Cafe or a smoothie bowl at Top Shop.
The Beach Hotel is a reliable choice for families, with relaxed dining and a kids menu.
The Farm has Three Blue Ducks restaurant, and the Bread Social, both of which need to go on your foodie itinerary.
Check back soon for our guide of the where to eat in Byron Bay with kids and more Byron Bay restaurants to try.
Where to eat in Mullumbimby
Mullumbimby has a plethora of good food options too, including our favourite, Pure Melt lounge. (Check the Mullumbimby guide below for details)
WHERE TO STAY IN BYRON BAY WITH KIDS
Looking for Family accommodation in Byron Bay?
Our number one pick is Elements of Byron.
This breezy sun-filled hotel is fabulous for families.
The kids won’t ever want to get out of that pool!
It’s just out of town, but it’s self contained, with an IGA supermarket within walking distance.
The Sun Bistro and Habitat (with Barrio restaurant) are minutes away too.
Other family accommodation in Byron Bay include:
- Byron Bay Holiday park
- First Sun caravan park
- If you have teenagers, try Arts Factory Lodge to join the workshops & activities!
Find more of best accommodation for families in Byron Bay here.
BYRON BAY EVENTS
The Lismore Gem Fest & Crystal Show is the place for crystal lovers.
Talk to the experts, dig for treasure, and look at all the gem collections on site.
BEST FREE THINGS TO DO IN BYRON BAY
These are more Byron Bay activities to try:
- Visit any one of the beaches. Unfortunately, you will have to pay for parking, unless a friend has a local’s pass. Or walk down to Main Beach, Clarkes Beach, Tallows Beach, Wategos Beach, or the Pass.
- Browse the shops in the Byron Bay Arts and Industrial Estate
- Wander the main CBD in town, people watching and listening to the buskers
- Visit the Byron Bay Library and use their free wifi to update all your socials
- Take a local hike along the Coastal Walk up to the Cape Byron Lighthouse
- Ride your bike from town all the way to the Farm and say hi to all the animals
- Enjoy the atmosphere at one of Byron’s markets
- Explore the Arakwal National Park
- Go whale watching from the most Easterly point of Australia and look out for Julian rocks
- Drive to see one of the Byron Bay waterfalls
Check in with the Byron Bay visitors centre for current events too.
WHERE TO SHOP IN BYRON BAY
Byron Bay Fashion
First stop, Spell Designs.
Pick up one, or a few floaty dresses from this famous dress shop in Australia.
Then visit all the boutiques in Byron Bay, and in the Arts and Industrial Estate.
These are our top picks:
- Auguste the Label
- Arnhem Clothing
- Afends Store
- Bell & Ford
- Mister Zimi
Byron Homewares Stores
You’ll find lots of home design and decor stores too:
- Pampa at 1/12 Centennial Circuit (Arts estate) for South American style
- Pop and Scott at 4/57 Centennial Cct for penny cushions and leather goods
- Tigmi trading, a collection of curated artisan made rugs, furniture, textiles, objects and lighting from around the world
- The Beach People Flagship store for round towels, and sarongs
- Island Luxe for modern beachy vibes
MORE THINGS TO DO IN BYRON BAY FOR FAMILIES
The Northern Rivers is a large area, spanning from Ballina all the way up to Tweed.
And inland towards the Byron hinterland towns like:
- Rosebank, and
- out to Lismore and Murwillumbah.
Take a look below at our fave things to do in Byron Shire.
Things to do in Mullumbimby with Kids
Enjoy a swim where the locals go at Mullumbimby Pool.
They set up the giant inflatable during the school holidays on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday too.
Things to do in Brunswick Heads with Kids
This is our home, and we love it.
If you’re visiting and want to say hi, we’d love to meet you too!
Brunswick Heads Bakery
Wake up and head straight to the Brunswick Heads Bakery for good coffee and giant sized cakes.
If the locals haven’t beaten you to them, snap up a Nutella croissant.
Oh my God. SOOO good.
Christmas Beach Brunswick Heads
I’ll probably get in trouble with my neighbours for sharing details about this local’s secret beach, but our favourite beach in Brunswick Heads is Christmas Beach.
It’s our own tropical island with calm turquoise waters, and a Hansel and Gretel forest view walk to get there.
Don’t tell anyone I told you!
Things to do in Murwillumbah with Kids
Visit the super dooper fun playground at Knox Park Murwillumbah.
This is one of the best playgrounds in the shire between Byron and the Gold Coast.
Drive to Mount Warning and enjoy beautiful local bushwalks too.
Looking for more things to do for kids locally?
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in AUD dollars, unless otherwise stated