INSIDE: Everything you need to know about finding the best Farmers Markets NZ has to offer.
Looking for all the best FARMERS MARKETS in New Zealand to add to your itinerary?
Or perhaps you are a serious foodie who loves to explore all the different home produce and hand crafted foods of New Zealand, and are looking for inspiration of where to go next?
You’ll love this guide to Farmers Markets in NZ.
It’s a ROUND UP of the best Farmers markets New Zealand has to offer on both the North and South Islands.
Read all the details below.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you. Main image credit: Thorndon markets
Image credit: Back to Basics
- 1 THE INSIDE SCOOP: BEST FARMERS MARKETS NEW ZEALAND NORTH ISLAND
- 2 No.1: Auckland Farmers Markets
- 3 No.2: Hastings Hawkes Bay Farmers Market
- 4 No.3: Napier Farmer’s Market
- 5 No.4: Farmers Markets Tauranga
- 6 No.5: Wellington Farmers Market
- 7 MORE Wellington Farmers Markets to visit
- 8 THE INSIDE SCOOP: BEST FARMERS MARKETS NZ SOUTH ISLAND
- 9 No.1: Blenheim Farmers Markets (Marlborough Farmers Market)
- 10 No.2: Christchurch Farmers Market
- 11 No.3: “Remarkables” Queenstown Farmers Market
- 12 NEW ZEALAND CRAFT MARKETS & FLEA MARKETS
- 13 THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEW ZEALAND SOUVENIRS
- 14 Looking for MORE New Zealand shopping ideas?
THE INSIDE SCOOP: BEST FARMERS MARKETS NEW ZEALAND NORTH ISLAND
Correct at time of publication on Roam the Gnome. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in NZ dollars, unless otherwise stated
Check out these farmers markets on the North Island.
Image credit: Earthbound Honey
No.1: Auckland Farmers Markets
There are SO many awesome farmers markets in Auckland, that we wrote a whole separate story on them.
We list the best Saturday markets Auckland has.
Plus the best Sunday markets Auckland offers to those who love to eat locally sourced food from local NZ farms, including these three:
- Matakana Farmers market
- Clevedon Farmers Market
- Parnell Farmers’ Market
Auckland with Kids
PS: If you are in Auckland, and are looking for the best things to do in Auckland with kids, we have you covered too.
No.2: Hastings Hawkes Bay Farmers Market
The Hawke’s Bay farmers market is at the Hastings showground, a flat treed space on the road out of Hastings.
This market has a lovely community feel.
You can find:
- Hohepa Hawke’s Bay – organic products including cheeses, dairy products, fresh produce and meat
- Orcona chillis and peppers
- Te Mata figs
- Te Mata mushroom co
- Harald’s Bread world
- Aquiferra Olive oils
- Chocolatier Mirams for modern patisserie pastries and cakes, and artisan chocolate
- Wright sprouts
- Coastal squeeze juices
- Danny’s delicious hand made fresh pasta and sauces
- Telegraph Hill olivery – taste their apricot and olive tagine!
- Heather’s Feijoas puree and bottled goods
- fine smoked goods from the Smokehut
- Woodburn venison
- Gernot’s Gold delicate jams and jellies
- Fresh speciality breads and pastries
- Bay Blueberries
- Aurum Coffee roasters
- La Petite chocolate
- The Bacon Sandwich Co make delicious bacon sandwiches
- Hawke’s Bay Wines
At Hastings Farmers market, you can also buy beautiful, handcrafted, 100% natural wool garments and homeware from Home Spun, and beeswax reusable food wraps from LilyBee wraps too.
Image credit: Napier Urban Farmers Market
No.3: Napier Farmer’s Market
Napier Farmers Market is where the locals shop for their weekly produce, fresh flowers, herbs, and more.
Enjoy a breakfast of freshly roasted coffee, sweet treats and savoury delicacies.
Image credit: Tauranga farmers market
No.4: Farmers Markets Tauranga
Tauranga market in the Bay of Plenty has been established for almost 15 years.
Tauranga farmers market lets food growers and producers sell directly to the customer.
The Kitchens at Tauranga farmers markets are phenomenal too.
Don’t eat before you come. Keep that belly empty.
You’ll thank me.
Image credit: Thorndon farmers market Wellington
No.5: Wellington Farmers Market
Hill Street Farmers Market in Wellington (also called the Thorndon Farmers Market) is a collection of local products & producers, selling unique produce, organic food, gluten free and GM foods, spray free fruit and veg, as well as natural products.
Find locally sourced artisan products including a carefully chosen range of Wellington goodies including:
- peanut butter
- lovingly made pastries
- sourdough bread
- soft cheese
- olive oils
- speciality teas
- juice, and more.
MORE Wellington Farmers Markets to visit
- Hill St Farmers Market
- Wellington Underground market
- Victoria Street Sunday market
- Harbourside Market
THE INSIDE SCOOP: BEST FARMERS MARKETS NZ SOUTH ISLAND
No.1: Blenheim Farmers Markets (Marlborough Farmers Market)
This is a delightful community minded, family-friendly market offering the freshest produce and locally sourced foods and other products.
Fresh produce on offer at Blenheim market includes:
- seasonal vegetables and fruit
- bakery treats,
- free range eggs
- fresh and cured meats
- honey, jams, jellies, preserves,
- cheeses and other dairy products
- nuts, fresh herbs, oils,
- local seafood,
- plants and fresh cut flowers.
Image credit: Christchurch farmers market
No.2: Christchurch Farmers Market
There’s over 80 stalls at the Christchurch Farmers’ Market, New Zealand’s premier Farmers’ Market, established in 2003.
This Christchurch community market serves local, seasonal ingredients and produce to the people of Christchurch.
The Christchurch market is set on the doorstep site of the stunning Heritage One listed Riccarton House, the former home to the founding family of Canterbury, the Deans Family.
Image credit: The Barn
No.3: “Remarkables” Queenstown Farmers Market
Small weekly farmer’s market offering local produce, takeaway foods, crafts & live music.
Operating during the warmer months only. (A 26 week season)
You’ll find all the usuals there:
- chutneys & jams
- elderflower cordial
- breads + pastries
Plus handcrafts, art, collectibles, and greenstone jewellery.
Pick up all your Kiwiana Souvenirs from The Barn shop at Queenstown market while you are there.
NEW ZEALAND CRAFT MARKETS & FLEA MARKETS
If you like markets, you might also like our Guide to the Best Craft Markets in New Zealand.
If you are looking to buy authentic handmade souvenirs in New Zealand, go shopping in New Zealand at art & craft markets and support local kiwi’s living their dreams.
THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEW ZEALAND SOUVENIRS
Our guide to the BEST Souvenirs in New Zealand is a whopping collection of unique and authentic Kiwi gifts and souvenirs.
Plus ideas for:
- Maori cultural gifts
- where to buy greenstone jewellery, and
- a fabulous list of suggestions for Kiwiana gifts too, including BUZZY BEE!
Looking for MORE New Zealand shopping ideas?
Taking a trip to New Zealand anytime soon? Bookmark these fun things to do in New Zealand.